Amnesty International is preparing an international petition to stop the arms sales to the Saudi-UAE alliance in the war against Yemen.
More than a quarter of a million people from around the world have signed a petition demanding their governments to stop selling arms to Saudi Arabia and the UAE, Amnesty said.
The organization said today that it had handed over the petition to the British government, calling to end arms sales to the UAE and Saudi Arabia.
Amnesty International has called for an immediate halt to the flow of arms into the Saudi-Saudi alliance in the war in Yemen following the UN experts’ report of war crimes.
“The GEE [United Nations Group of Eminent Experts], in its first report, confirms what we have known for the past three years, namely that all parties to the conflict in Yemen have acted with utter disregard for civilian lives.” Amnesty International Middle East Research Director Lynn Maalouf said in a statement on the organization’s website.
“The Saudi Arabia-led coalition and allied forces, Huthi and Yemeni government-aligned forces have consistently carried out unlawful attacks, restricted access to humanitarian aid, carried out widespread arbitrary detention, enforced disappearances, child recruitment and other serious violations that have and continue to inflict unimaginable suffering on Yemen’s civilian population.”
The report, investigating the abuses in Yemen, was handed over to the Human Rights Commissioner and is due to be presented to the council next month, including the names of those suspected of direct responsibility for “war crimes” in the country.
The UN report, the first of its kind to incriminate large-scale violations of the Saudi-led coalition. The report also documents Huthi crimes and abuses by Yemeni government forces after several human rights organizations, including Human Rights Watch, as well as the Associated Press, documented violations committed in Yemen by the Saudi-UAE coalition, particularly with regard to massacres of civilians and abuses in prisons run by Abu Dhabi forces.
The organization, based in London, called on the international community to stop violations and prevent the flow of arms into Yemen.
“Scrutiny and strong action from the international community is more crucial than ever. The USA, UK, and other states should do everything in their power to prevent further violations and address the catastrophic humanitarian crisis.” Maalouf stressed
“They should start by immediately stopping the flow of arms to the country and end the Coalition’s arbitrary restrictions on humanitarian assistance and essential imports.”
The war in Yemen has so far claimed the lives of 10,000 people, while the remaining are under threat. There are 22 million Yemenis in need of aid, and 8 million are at risk of starvation.
The Saudi-UAE military alliance has been waging war in Yemen since 2015 with British, American and French weapons. International organizations have warned that the war in the city of Hodeidah, which is besieged by the coalition, may result in the halt of the flow of aid, as 70% of Yemen’s imports pass through the port.
Maalouf called that GEE’s mandate should be renewed ahead of the 39th session of the Human Rights Council next month.
“The armed conflict is still ongoing… It is imperative that it can investigate new violations and abuses, and identify those responsible, with the same depth and rigor.” She said.
The United Nations’ report comes as the organization prepares to hold consultations between the parties on September 6, when the report is expected to overshadow negotiations.