A campaign launched by thousands of Yemenis under a hashtag: “prosecuting UAE is a Yamani demand” and it has received a wide interaction on social media sites, especially Twitter.
The tweeters demanded that the UAE must be prosecuted for war crimes and horrific abuses against civilians in Yemen, while reaffirming Abu Dhabi’s intention to withdraw its forces from Yemen as part of “the transition from military strategy to peace.
A senior Emirati official said on Monday that his country was withdrawing its forces in Yemen as part of a “redeployment” plan for “strategic and tactical reasons.” Abu Dhabi is moving from a “military strategy” to a plan based on ” Peace first”.
“There is a reduction in strategic forces in Hodeidah and tactical reasons in other areas,” an official told reporters in Dubai, proffered to remain unnamed. “It is about moving from the military power strategy to peace first strategy.”
The Wall Street Journal revealed earlier that the UAE plans to withdraw nearly all of its forces from the campaign led by Saudi Arabia against the Houthis in Yemen, indicating that Abu Dhabi seeks to escape a war brought to it a large opposition in Washington and fear of Iranian retaliation in the event of a military confrontation with the United States.
According to the newspaper, in recent weeks, Abu Dhabi began to withdraw tanks and attack helicopters outside Yemen, according to Western officials. They also withdrew hundreds of soldiers from the Red Sea coast, including those in the coastal city of Hodeidah, the main gateway to humanitarian aid, officials said.