Yemen’s legitimate government relationship with the United Arab Emirates(UAE) has entered a more escalating path as Yemen called on the UN Security Council to stop the Abu Dhabi attacks and its support for armed militias.
The Yemeni government has made a formal request for a Security Council session on the recent UAE raids.
On Thursday, UAE warplanes targeted Yemeni army military gatherings in Aden and Abyan after they regained control of positions controlled by the UAE-backed secessionist Southern Transitional Council earlier this month.
The Yemeni delegate to the United Nations Abdullah al-Saadi called on the Security Council to exercise its role and intervene immediately to stop the UAE attacks, considering the UAE bombing a serious escalation and aggression against the sovereignty and territorial integrity of Yemen.
Al-Saadi said the UAE’s practices went beyond the goal for which the Riyadh-led coalition to support legitimacy was established.
The Yemeni government ministers called in an official letter sent to President Abd Rabbu Mansour Hadi to send a formal request to the Saudi leadership to end the UAE’s participation in the coalition.
Prior to that, the Yemeni president said that the Emirati planes supported the rebel militias of the Southern Transitional Council, pointing out that they continued to attack state institutions in Aden.
He said in a statement, broadcast on the state television, that the government will face an armed rebellion by the militias of the UAE-backed Council, pointing out that he directed the government “to face the blatant targeting of our country and the unity and territorial integrity.”
“The UAE has taken advantage of the current circumstances that we are going through to attack the legitimate state institutions,” he said. “We will not be intimidated by the planes of our targeted terrorists and we will regain Aden and extend the influence of the state.”
The Presidency renewed its request to the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, which is the need to intervene to stop the blatant Emirati intervention by supporting those militias and the use of aerial bombardment against the Yemeni armed forces.
For its part, the Yemeni government said it “rejects the false justifications given by the UAE to cover up its blatant targeting of the national army forces in the south.”
This came in a government meeting on Friday evening in Riyadh, chaired by Prime Minister Moin Abdul Malik, to discuss the implementation of the directives of President Hadi, and to take the necessary measures to counter the armed rebellion of the so-called “Transitional Council”, in the south of Yemen.
According to the official Yemeni News Agency, the government added that “the UAE’s attempt to impose terrorism charges on the Yemeni army is just a miserable attempt to cover up its blatant and illegal targeting of the army.”
The city of Aden fell again on Thursday in the hands of the UAE-backed Southern Transitional Council after airstrikes by the United Arab Emirates targeted government forces in Aden and Abyan, killing and wounding dozens of people, according to sources and witnesses.
On Thursday afternoon, the city of Zanzibar, the capital of Abyan province, fell to the separatist transition forces, a day after government forces took control of it.
The UAE on Thursday announced the air strikes in southern Yemen, but justified it as “targeting armed terrorist groups in retaliation for attacking coalition forces at Aden airport.”
The Yemeni government renewed “holding the UAE full legal responsibility before the international community for this blatant targeting outside international norms and laws, and the resulting violations of international law,” stressing that it “will take all measures to deal with this crime.”
The government also renewed its condemnation of the “UAE aggression”, stressing that “it will not accept to diminish the sovereignty, unity and territorial integrity of Yemen under any circumstances.”